Warm guest rooms and hot hearty dinners await you at the Grand Imperial Hotel and the Grand Restaurant & Saloon. Now open Wed-Sat nights.
Save 10% off already low winter room rates with promo coder: NEWYEAR19
Happy Hour from 4-6 and Daily Dinner Specials at 5!
Chilli con carne. One of my favourite things about the colder weather is dinners like this. Comforting, hearty and full of flavour. This is my version and my family love it. I usually serve it with sweetcorn rice but it’s delicious over a jacket potato or with a big spoonful of Greek yoghurt. Here I’ve used a mix of lean beef and beans to minimise the meat and get extra fibre in there, but I often make it just with beans for an equally delicious vegan version. And for added bonus points, it freezes beautifully so I always make more and freeze for another day.
- 1 onion, finely chopped - 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 500g lean beef mince
- 500g passata
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 beef stock cube
- Fry the onion in the olive oil over a medium heat for a few minutes till soft but not browned
- Add the spices and cook for a further two minuted stiring continuously so they dont burn
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for another minute
- Add the beef and cook for another ten minutes, breaking up any lumps - Add the passata, two cups of water and the beef stock
- Increase the heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 1 hour, stirring ocaasionaly. - Add the beans, cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season and serve #delicious#healthylifestyle#fuelyourbody#dinnerideas#freezermeals#chilli#chiliconcarne#familymeals#familyfavourites#cookingwithlove#cooking#lovetocookformyfamily#heartydinners#easydinners#easyrecipes#eathappy#eathappyfeelgood#balanceddiet#leancooking#highprotein
One of the best things about autumn/winter rearing its head is getting the crockpot out! Can’t beat lovely hearty dinners (even though the weather keeps fooling us and going back to summer!!) #crockpot#autumn#heartydinners#cosynights
Our most spectacular British Season. A kaleidoscope of vibrant colours, amazing seasonal food, warming healthy comfort dinners, cosy nights in with loved one and of course bonfire night and xmas. So for the next few weeks concentrate on winter proofing the home.
A few proven tips to keep the home healthy this winter.
1)Open windows and throw back the duvet for 30mins before making. 2)When setting your heating timer, set it for slightly longer but on a lower temperature. This avoids big jumps in temperature encouraging the spread of cold germs.
3) Set a small pot of water by radiators. This put back some of the humidity that central heating drys out. You can even pop a couple of drops of essential oils in.
4)Perfect soup weather. A good way of using and getting the 5 a day.
5)Stock up the freezer with healthy homemade goodies,stews, chillis, curries, shepherds pie,fish pie, basically any kind pie. And all of these can be made in delicious veggie alternatives .
5)Home baking with the family. It’s great fun they learn how their food is prepared.They are more likely to eat a wider range of food if they have helped. You know exactly what the little people are eating when you’ve made it.
7)Stock up on art materials for the kids on wet days
8)Buy wellington boots now while they are all in stock and not a made panic when the weather gets really bad.
So whilst the Politicians continue to fight over BREXIT you’ll be ready to embrace what ever they decide over the next 6 weeks.
Happy Sunday Friends 👌
My slow cooker is always busy on a sunday 🤷♀️
I made a slow cooker spag bol today on my stories. I’ll save it to my ‘food’ story highlights.
Anyway the whole point of this ramble is that I’ve had my slow cooker for years & it is used every week in my kitchen.
Couple of things about it:
➡️If you’re busy it’s super handy
➡️If you like soups/stews, basically ‘hearty’ dinners it’s perfect
➡️You don’t need to spend much to get a good one. Mine has 3 settings (low, high or keep warm)
➡️Its great for family cooking or batch cooking.
Finally if anyone would like to add anything about slow cookers (brands, recipe ideas etc) please put a comment below. It would be lovely to read other people’s thoughts. 🙏
Come in from teaching tonight and the Mister has made a delicious beef stew and dumplings. He has gone a little overboard on the potatoes but hey ho! 😂. What a lovely warming dinner to come in to. Fabulous shoulder workshop again this week with my classes here at Cedar Lodge Studio. Hearing back that a lot of clients are reaping the benefits from this work makes me very happy indeed! #winterwarmers#heartydinners#autumnishere#thisiswhatieat xoxo