A London Times newspaper dated January 1841, in the company of E.L James's works and other random books.(swipe right)
In 1812, the British, who had by then understood the significance of the use of vernacular languages in administration, set up a college for the British officials where they were taught Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada among other local languages. In 1817, the college and its library, was shifted from inside the Fort St George to its present day location in the DPI Compound in the College Road, hence giving the road the name. (No, it is not WCC that gives the road its name.) In 1905, the building that now houses the Madras Literary Society; a society attended by an elite group of intellectuals, was built. The MLS came directly under the control of the Asiatic Society of London and remained so for a long time until a few nationalists removed the foreign yoke over it. But this has resulted in the Society receiving no funds whatsoever from London while the Asiatic society of Bombay and Bengal continues to do so. Even the Government that had taken over the Library from the English with much zest, has been doing very little in taking care of this dilapidated building that houses a number of 200 and odd year old books that have been left to decay.